- Tech Specification
Dell PowerEdge 2970 64-bit Quad-Core AMD Opteron 2356 series processors servers
The highly versatile AMD-based Dell PowerEdge 2970 2-socket 2U rack server provides the optimal balance of server features and size. It gives businesses the ability to maximize server performance while keeping space and energy needs to a minimum. Designed to support almost any type of enterprise application — including database, email and network infrastructure — it has the versatility that businesses require.
The high-performance, AMD-based Dell PowerEdge™ 2970 delivers excellent security, manageability and energy efficiency in a 2U rack dense chassis for those seeking a balance between expandability and rack density.
The dual-processor PowerEdge 2970 delivers next-generation performance combined with a balance of internal expandability and rack density. Perfect for network infrastructure applications, such as web, messaging, database and file/print consolidation, the PowerEdge 2970 delivers both the performance customers need with the drive capacity demanded for growing applications. It's the perfect balance available in a rack-dense 2U form factor. The PowerEdge 2970 also provides up to eight internal hard drive bays in its 2U chassis, allowing up to 1.8TB1 of internal storage for applications that require capacity, but not enough to merit an external storage system.
Dell goes the distance to increase price/performance and performance-per-watt2 in its newest generation of servers. The latest 64-bit Quad-core AMD® Opteron® processors deliver performance gains of up to 69 percent3 over the previous generation.
1066MHz FSB facilitates better speed. 64-bit memory addressability provides scalability for large memory footprint applications.
A TCP/IP Off-load Engine (TOE) helps deliver greater network throughput and efficiency by off-loading the TCP/IP processing to a dedicated processor, freeing up the main system processor in web-based applications or when using iSCSI.
The new PowerEdge 9th Generation servers offer up to 64GB of fully buffered DIMM memory, twice the memory capacity of the previous generation. This allows for simultaneous reads/writes of memory and can help improve performance in virtualized workloads.
Serial-Attached SCSI (SAS) hard drives deliver the next generation of SCSI performance and reliability for critical business applications, while SATA options provide greater value for systems that rely on external storage and fiber-channel storage.
PCI Express® I/O expansion facilitates greater I/O throughput and support for high-bandwidth I/O peripherals, such as Infiniband, 4GB fiber channel and future 10GB Ethernet.
Availability Without Compromise
Dell addresses the need for high availability in the new PowerEdge™ 9th Generation by providing hot-plug redundant power supplies and hard drives, plus multiple SAS RAID options — without sacrificing expandability and including support for High Availability Clustering and deployment in SANs. Redundant NICs and redundant cooling fans help keep the servers running smoothly.
Setting the Standard for Manageability
SAS hard drive carriers and memory options are common across the entire line of PowerEdge 9th Generation servers. The PowerEdge 1950, 2900 and 2970 feature standardized drivers and BIOS.
All servers include an Integrated Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) 2.0 management controller (with SMASH Command Line Protocol), plus an optional DRAC 5 remote management card with continuous video and Active Directory® integration for robust remote server management.
Rear: 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x serial connector
Front: 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x video connector, 1x RJ45 for DRAC 5/i connector
• 2U rack height
• Quad-Core AMD Low Volt Opteron 2356 sequence processors at 2.30GHz
• Up to Six-Core AMD Opteron™ Processors
• AMD Opteron 2356 Sequence: 2x2MB
• Broadcom HT-2100 and HT-1000 Server I/O Controllers
• 2GB Available
• AMD Memory Optimizer Technology, Up to 64GB (8 DIMM slots): 512MB/1GB/2GB/4GB/8GB ECC DDR2 SDRAM
• Three PCI slots, either PCIe riser with three PCI Express slots (one x4 (x8 connector) and two x8) or two PCI-X 64-bit/133MHz and one PCI Express x8 slot
• PERC 5/i integrated SAS/SATA daughter card controller with 256MB cache, PERC 4e/DC, PERC 5/e adapter
Server Drive bays
• 8 x 2.5" Hard Drive Option 500GB SATA Available
• Slim optical drive bay with choice of DVD-ROM
Maximum internal storage
• Up to 6TB: six 1TB hot-plug SAS\SATA
Disk Storage Options:
• PowerVault MD3000i iSCSI SAN Array
• PowerVault RD1000 disk-based backup system
• PowerVault NX1950 Unified Storage Solution
• PowerVault MD3000 Modular Disk Storage Array
• PowerVault MD1000 SAS external storage system
• Dell/EMC AX150 and AX150i Networked Storage Array
• Dell/EMC CX300 Networked Storage Array
• Dell/EMC CX3-10c Networked Multi-protocol Storage Array
• Dell/EMC CX3-20 Networked Storage Array
• Dell/EMC CX3-40 Networked Storage Array
• Dell/EMC CX3-80 Networked Storage Array
Network interface card
• Dual embedded Broadcom® NetXtreme II™ 5708 Gigabit7 Ethernet NIC with fail-over and load balancing
• AC configuration with standard single or redundant 750W hot-plug auto-switching universal 110/220V AC power supplies
• DC configuration with redundant hot plug -48 to -60 V20 A DC power supplies ECC FBD memory, SDDC, Spare Bank; hot-plug hard drives; optional hot-plug redundant power supplies.